Monday, January 20, 2020

Waking From Spiritual Slumber

I remember when I first transferred to the University of Iowa to complete my B.A. degree in English.  I thought I knew how to write a term paper.  I had basically done the same thing all throughout high school, and then more of the same at a local community college subsequent to that.  I would write what would often equate to a book report with a fancy conclusion, and then turn it in and hope for the best.  Typically I received good grades.  That was about to change, however, with my first semester in Iowa City.  I was astonished to learn that the type of writing that got me an "A" most of the time during my primary education experience, was now garnering a far lower grade.  Apparently, the standards had changed.


The teachers would write comments like, "I need more than a book report" ... or "not enough content here."  It was a radical new learning environment, and it ultimately changed me for the better.  By the end of my college career, I was back to earning good grades and meeting expectations.  I had finally learned their system, but I had to be roused from my apathetic slumber by the college professors first. That first year in Iowa City wasn't pleasant.

Throughout much of the Bible, both the prophets and the apostles spent time entreating God's people to wake up as it pertained to their faith.  We know that lukewarm living held no sway with Jesus, and it didn't much impress Daniel, Jeremiah, or Paul either.  In other words, people couldn't get away with turning in the same old book reports back then in first century Palestine.

1 Thessalonians 5:6 says, "So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober." As believers, we are called to be spiritually aware.  To be in touch with what God is doing and saying in our lives.

Now this can be a painful experience, mind you.  It was no fun hearing the criticism being offered by my college professors years ago.  But think for a moment, if I hadn't been jostled into reality by well meaning teachers.  Think if I had been allowed to go my entire academic career turning in mediocre book reports.  Jesus wants more from our lives than this.  God wouldn't be God if an apathetic faith was all that was necessary.

We must also be cognizant of Matthew 16:24-26.  It says, "Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.  What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?  Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?'"

Now many have quoted this piece of Scripture in an attempt to count the cost of following Christ (and they would be correct to do so).  But for this lesson, I am choosing to mention this passage as more of a wake up call from God.  It's the equivalent of someone holding a sign on the side of the road as you drive by - but instead of asking for money or work, the sign would invite people to re-invigorate their faith.  It might just as easily read something like: 'wake up, and follow me.'

It is God's battle cry for an apathetic and spiritually sick world.  'Look at me' Jesus is saying, 'and don't be like one of the seven churches in the book of Revelation.'  We remember that the beginning of that famous Biblical book recounts a list of all the things that God witnesses those churches doing wrong (and much of it is lukewarm living).

It's time to renounce handing in mediocre book reports, and begin working on a doctoral  thesis.  It must be original, well researched, and focused on a particular set of results.  No cheating off of the Internet, and no waiting until the night before it's due to start work.  

If we as the church don't teach the Gospel message publicly, then the rest of the world will step in and take charge.  If we don't break free of our holy huddle that says it's okay only to evangelize other churched people, then the rest of the world will not come to understand the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  Nothing more, and nothing less.  

I used to crack open the Bible whenever I was waiting for my car to get serviced at one of the local shops here in town.  On more than one occasion, someone else who was waiting would notice what I was reading.  They would ask my thoughts about God, and a good portion of the time, an honest conversation would ensue.  Right place, right time, right  book.  

But what if I never mustered up any courage to have those discussions?  What if I went through life 'minding my own business' all the time?  What if I decided not to write, talk, or preach about God, and simply went through life tending to my family and my job?  Now certainly this isn't immoral, but this lifestyle ushers us past so many missed opportunities to share the Good News.  The holy huddle is so very tempting.  It's so easy to stay silent and allow the rest of the world to train up our children, friends, and family.  But the spiritual stakes are too high for that.

Author and philosopher C.S. Lewis often wrote about something called the good infection.  He would say that the good news of the Bible was just the type of infection that needed to be spread.  If not, then no one would build up anti-bodies and healthy constitutions.  Faith must spread like a good infection; from one person to the next.  It is up to the faithful to help disseminate this news.

I'm finished turning in hum-drum book reports I think.  I want to dig deeper, and focus on  the things that really matter.  Not simply to recap what another author said, but rather, what God is saying and doing in my own life.  To spread that information around generously, and to whoever will listen.  Whether that might occur in a car repair shop, or a Sunday morning worship service makes no difference to me.  

Break free of the holy huddle whenever possible, and begin your journey into the rich and rewarding realm of evangelism.  Let the Scriptures be your focus, allow God to grant you the courage, and let the Holy Spirit guide your speech.  Help to spread the kind of good infection that this world so desperately needs.  Be a college professor helping to wake up the students in their class.  If we never take a stand for God, then we ought not be surprised if no one else does either. 



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Faithful Christian Remnant

The standard definition of the word remnant means  a portion left over .  This begs the question of course, as to what composes this portion...