Thursday, May 24, 2018

Defending the Goal

As I write this, my middle child's travel soccer season is wrapping up.  He loves to play, and it has been a joy coming with him and cheering him on during the games.  Typically he plays defense, so he is in the back quarter of the field making sure that no one from the other team can charge through the line and score.  But one Saturday in May, my little guy got to put on the goalie gear and actually defend the goal.  I saw nothing but joy beaming from his little face as he took his position in front of the net.  It was time to get down to business!


I struggled to catch my breath from the sidelines, hoping and waiting for him to steal the show.  It was just as emotional as watching him swing away from the batter's box during one of his little league baseball games.  

The first soccer match was a success, as he was able to stop almost every drive toward the goal.  The second game, however, was much more difficult.  We were outnumbered and out-gunned.  I was equally proud of him during both games of course.  Regardless of the final score - both he and his team were winners in my book that afternoon.

Afterward, it was time to take off the goalie gloves and jump back into the car for the  long ride home.  Only a quick stop at the gas station for Gatorade and a snack would suffice.  It is important to mind the details. 

There is much at stake for a goalie in a soccer match.  It is often said that they can help make or break the outcome of a game.  Surely the entire team helps; but there is something to be said for tending the goal itself.  It is the same for you and I when it comes to talking about spiritual matters.  

All of us, I believe, are called in some way to help defend the Gospel message handed down to us through the generations.  It is a message that spans from the first apostles all the way up to the current church.  We are all only one generation away from losing this life changing truth.  And I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that it's a good idea to use this same type of 'goalie zeal' in order to defend what the Bible has to say.  

Listen to what Philippians 1:3-7 has to say: "I thank God every time I remember you.  In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.  It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me."

You will note that this letter to the church in Philippi assures us of one very important thing.  It reminds us that God will not only affirm us and help us to stand strong while defending the goal, but that He will also complete the good work in us that He started.  
Take a moment to consider the weight of this promise.  It is God himself who will help us along this faith journey.  God himself who will help us to stand for truth when others won't.  God himself who has asked us to help defend the Gospel message.

Sometimes, however, we allow a goal.  The other team gets through our defenses and manages to score.  I asked my son what he thought of the fact that some of those larger players from the other team were running straight at him and kicking the ball as hard as they could.  

"Was he scared the whole time?" I wondered to myself.  I certainly would have been ... and I'm a grown up.

He told me that it didn't matter, and that is just how the game is played.  Sage advice from an eleven-year-old.  So what does it mean for you and I to allow the occasional goal?  I believe it equates to the fact that once in a while - despite our best efforts - we will fail to defend and uphold the truth of the Gospel.  From time to time (and probably more often than we would like to admit), people looking at us from the outside will not always see the sacrifice, death, and resurrection of Jesus reflected in our own life.  There are days when we let sin win.  There will be times when the love of Christ maybe doesn't quite materialize in our daily walk.  

When we miss the mark like this, when we sin and fall short of the glory of God ... it is important to pick ourselves back up and keep going.  Someone I respect once said that it's okay to fail, just try to 'fail forward.'  My son did the same thing that day at the soccer game.  If he missed a block while tending goal - he didn't give up and walk off the field.  There was no time for that.  After all, the next play was already in motion; it was time to keep his eye on the ball again.  There was a job to do.

It would be wise for you and I to do the same.  We will fall sometimes, but that doesn't mean God stops edifying us.  There can be no walking off the field.  If you fail, then fail forward.  Learn from it.  Get back up, ask God for forgiveness, and please remember to forgive yourself at some point along the way as well.  If you don't, then everyone around you will suffer along with you.  Don't let your ego and pride convince you that for some reason, you have a special dispensation to hang on to unforgiveness.  If God can forgive you, then you can forgive yourself.

There is one more point that I feel deserves some attention.  There is an idea floating around out there that it is the pastor's job to evangelize, and the rest of us can just send spiritual seekers to him or her whenever necessary.  Now this is acceptable of course, but I want to stress the fact that sometimes people come to you with questions for a reason (and not the pastor).  For whatever reason, God has sent them to you.  If this happens, then accept it - it is your turn to defend the goal.  In your own words and in your own way, you can now testify to another person about the power of God's grace and goodness in your life.  For this brief period in time, you are the walking and talking incarnation of the Bible for that individual.  Don't forego that gift.   

I believe this is backed by Scripture, as we read 1 Peter 3:15: "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord.  Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.  But do this with gentleness and respect.

Everyone will be called upon to defend the goal from time to time, even if we aren't a professional goalie.  Protecting, preserving, and communicating God's love for us through the sacrifice of His Son is a great honor, and the world needs to hear it now more than ever.  It's a message that doesn't grow old or become antiquated.  It has changed my own life, and it can change yours as well.

When my son and I finally pulled into the driveway at the end of our soccer road trip that day, both of us were tired.  My heart leaped out of my chest while watching my son do his job on the field.  I have a feeling that God's heart is no less joyful when it comes to watching you and I defend His Gospel message.  I will always try to keep a spare set of shin guards and goalie gloves in the trunk of my car, just in case.  What about you?



.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection Sunday Still Matters

The literal, bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ is the linchpin of the Christian faith.  It doesn't matter which denomination or slant ...